Monday, November 2, 2015

Transplant #2 is here!!

For about the last month and a half I have felt as close to 100% as I possibly could. In fact I found myself working at the office on almost a regular schedule of 40-50 hours a week.  That's one reason I haven't blogged here too much....there was not a whole lot to report on.

So who would have thought that barely two months have passed and I am now staring at a second stem cell transplant.   The first one was an AUTOLOGOUS transplant, aka, an "auto", where my own stem cells are harvested and used.   But this second transplant will be using a donors stem cells in hopes of a life saving cure from the plasma cell leukemia.  This transplant is an ALLOGENEIC transplant, aka, an "allo".

But we found a donor and turns out it's my brother!!  There's a prayer that was answered!   Today, Bruce spent six hours harvesting stem cell's from his bloodstream that will be transfused into my bone marrow on Tuesday afternoon.

I have a total body radiation on Tuesday just after lunch and then sometime late afternoon, they will actually do the transplant, which as I mentioned, is simply a transfusion of his cells into my bone marrow.

Thanks for all the ongoing support and prayers....a lot going on Tuesday as well as the coming months.    I'll be back to report on how things went.    Fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment