Thursday, August 27, 2015

Patience pays off...part 2

So on Wednesday, 12 August, I received those stem cells. And it wasn't 24 hours later when I felt like I just been hit by a truck. Fatigue . . . loss of appetite (who, me?) . . . nausea and the works (you're going to have to use your imagination on that one) . . . developing mucositis     . . .  and a general sense of "I feel like &/!@."

I've never been so sick that I'll that I lose my appetite . . . I joked with the doctors and nurses early on that I might just order carry out from Jeff Ruby's rather than eat hospital food . . . but the joke was on me because just the thought of meat, shrimp, crab legs or even a steak smothered in blue cheese was enough to roll my stomach. Truth be told, I was lucky to keep down 2 ounces of water at a time.  

And frankly even though I'm at home now, I don't have a large appetite whatsoever. Small bowl of cereal and milk this morning more than sustained me for most of the day until I whipped up a little something for dinner tonight. The good news is not so much that I was able to eat, but just that I kept everything down. Descriptive enough?

Friday morning I returned to the hospital for some bloodwork and a consult with Dr. Tse and his staff. And let me just say that those are some of the most outstanding healthcare professionals I've ever run across. Their attention to detail is not like anything I've seen before.  

So the game now shifts from waiting for the stem cells to grow and develop into healthy marrow and cells to feeling more like my 100% self . . . see, I told you I wasn't very good at this patience game . . . I want to be back to 100% yesterday, ha.  

But I appreciate your ongoing prayers and support because without them I have no idea how I would've gotten through the last couple of weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment