Sunday, August 9, 2015

It's TRANSPLANT Week . . . finally!!

Well, this is the week that the doctors have been pointing to. After multiple rounds of chemotherapy, and after lowering the plasma cell in the bone marrow to less than 5% (from 76% back in April), it's time to take the next big step, which is the stem cell transplant. These used to be called "bone marrow transplants," but at some point in the recent past, doctors simply referred to them as stem cell transplants because that more accurately reflected the process of transfusing the cells back into the patient's body.   The bone marrow simply was the eventual location where these stem cells would take up residence and begin producing red and white cells as well as platelets.

So Monday August 10, I will check in at University Hospital. I'll receive a central line catheter that will not only deliver the stem cells back into my blood stream and eventually to the bone marrow, but also serve as a port for them to withdraw blood for testing and lab work, etc. That will be better than getting poked every day for the next 2-3 weeks.

I will receive a high dose of chemo called "malphalan" on Monday and Tuesday. The actual transplant will take place on Wednesday sometime.  And this transplant is nothing more than a transfusion of my own stem cells that were harvested about a month ago. I must admit that the whole procedure has me on edge, simply because complications such as infections or the like could set in while my white blood counts are non existent. That's the LAST thing I need is to catch a cold or get sick when my immune system is so compromised.

But barring any incidents such as that, things should go smoothly. I have plenty of books to read, I have investment periodicals to pore over and absorb, and I am sure I'll have plenty of emails from work to answer. Despite being in the hospital for 2-3 weeks straight, it should be anything but boring.

Thanks again for your ongoing prayers and support as we continue this battle. There is uncertainty we face each day, especially for me right now, but faith and prayers are the cornerstone helping me through that uncertainty.   

Visitors are always welcome, so if you find yourself downtown, feel free to drop in. I will be on the 6th floor of University Hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment